I have been working on some spring cleaning today:
I hosed off leaked capacitor electrolyte from my newly acquired Macintosh IIci. The recap will occur at a later date, I am researching for the best replacement tantalum capacitors, the radial capacitors I have used in past projects just look sloppy, I want a nice clean looking repair.
I also hosed 35+ years of crud and insect carcasses off of my Apple ][, scrubbed the case down with bleach spray and a sponge and hosed it off as well.
Photos will be posted later once everything has dried out and is reassembled.
I have updated image handling in the photo galleries making browsing of photos a little more user friendly, should have done this ages ago 🙂
I’ve also added pages for a few new additions to my collection, Please Check out my Compaq Portable and Toshiba T1600 pages, the pages are a bit generic for now, I do plan some upgrades, and proper photo shoots of them at a later date.
Regular viewers of my site may have noticed I have added some subtle advertising to my site, I am not looking to get rich off it by any means, I am just wanting to help offset the hosting costs for this hobby site of mine.
I am keeping them minimally intrusive and small so not to detract from my site, if anyone believes the ads are hurting this site, PLEASE comment and let me know.
Found a few old motherboards in my storage, for some odd reason all 3 were missing their AT keyboard ports. Put in an order to digikey for some 5-Din AT Keyboards ports and soldered them in. The Acer Pentium board also had a badly leaking capacitor that was replaced.
ACER Socket 7 – Pentium 133
FIC 486 – DX33 Motherboard
ZEOS Socket 4 – Pentium 60
Followup, The Acer board does not POST, not sure what its problem is, need to get a POST card to see whats hanging up.
On the plus side, the Zeos P60 and FIC 486 both POST, so they will soon be working machines!
I have partially recapped my PowerBook 100 with great success, it now boots up.
The down side is my soldering iron crapped out mid-project, so I will have to finish replacing all the old SMD aluminum caps later, but I got all the ones that were visibly leaking, and it now boots, so I will consider this a win.
I made a photo with capacitor values so I would remember after I pulled the caps off, I will attach it here (I did not mark the voltage values, other than the 1uF caps which were rated 50volt, all of the rest were 16volt, I had no 16volt parts, I recapped all mine with 50volt rated parts).
When this photo was taken I had already replaced the two 10uF nearest display header, you can see I have used radial caps and just bent them over to fit. After this photo I got as far as all the 1 and 10uF parts in the lower right near mouse port. I still need to do the 1uF parts near debug/reset buttons and near keyboard port and ALL of the 47uF and 4.7uF parts (though none of those have leaked, yet!).
So I decided to pull out my old Sony dye sublimation photo printer which I hadn’t used in some time, only to find Sony dropped support for it after Windows XP.
After hearing about other peoples success with old scanners under “XP Mode” I figured I would try with this old printer, and it worked like a champ, minus a few flaws of “XP Mode” itself. I will provide a basic overview of how to get it working below.
Installing “XP Mode” is out of scope for this tutorial, I am sure there’s several guides out there on this topic, this document will assume you have it installed and working already.
Launch Virtual PC “Windows XP Mode”, wait for it to bring up an XP desktop window, with the printer plugged in and turned on go to the USB menu and click on the Sony DPP-SV__
Then click YES to the “Attach” dialog
Next install the Windows XP drivers for the printer in the XP Mode VM (this will fail if the printer is not attached following steps 1 & 2 because the installer checks for the presence of the printer).
Print! (from XP Mode) I chose to install an image viewing (and printing) package within XP Mode called IRFANVIEW to make things a little more seamless with the XP Mode integration, that way I do not have to bring up the “FULL XP mode Virtual PC desktop”, only the IRFANVIEW application via the Windows 7 start menu when I wish to print a photo.
Here is where the “flaws” of “XP Mode” come in to play. You must attach the printer under Manage USB Devices every single time you launch “XP Mode”, to do this when launching a lone Application, like IRFANVIEW, and the USB menu isn’t available in the tool bar like in desktop mode, just right click on its taskbar icon for your XP Mode application, while running, and you will find the “Manage USB Devices” option
On a side note, unrelated to the virtualization used to get this printer working, the Sony printers have always over-saturated reds in their prints, I have found that in IRFANVIEW under Image > Color Correction (SHIFT-G) if you bump the R down to about -20 or -30 and in SOME cases bump B up to about +10 you will get spot on prints that should match your screen, the program even allows you to “save these values” as defaults for future use, so in the future to print just SHIFT-G, ENTER, CTRL-P, ENTER to set the color correction and print in just a few seconds, also note this does NOT touch your original image’s color, just whats displayed and printed for this instance of the image in IRFANVIEW. These features are one of the main reasons I chose to use this IRFANVIEW as the default application for printing with my DPP-SV55.
Won’t win any prizes, but I have recapped my SE/30 and restored it to 100% working condition. Next Mac I recap I will be ordering and using tantalum capacitors, I was anxious to get this SE/30 working so I used radial electrolytic capacitors I already had on hand, looks like crap, but at least it works again.